Friday, May 26, 2006

Deadly bike accident: Helmet saves 2

Tuesday, 23rd

It was a usual day. I got up early went to swimming and then a bit of jogging.We left for office at around 11:30 and Anant was driving as per his turn.As we approached Magarpatta city, there was one cyclewala who was riding merrily on the extreme left side of the road and anant was driving steadily at 60 Kmph. Suddenly the cycle rider realized that he missed the right turn on a divider-separated road. He took a very sharp turn, leaving absolutely no chance for the bike driver to avoid the collision. Thus, accident happened.

We were lucky that we both were wearing helmets. Anant slid with the bike for quite some distance. From the marks on his helmets,it seemed that his side face and the right ear were intact thanks to the helmet. Inspite of helmet protection he suffered minor bleeding through mouth. He had injuries on the shoulder. I was thrown at the other side of the divider and I could not recollect my line of flight. I can only tell that as soon as I realized something happened, I was lying completely on my back on the other side of the road. No prominent marks on the helmet. But there was a very bad injury on both the legs. On one leg there was no bleeding but it wore the direct impact on the sheen bone. The skin on the right leg was peeled off mebbe upto 5-6 layers, not sure though.

As soon as I saw up there was a truck coming from the opposite direction at about 50 meters from me. It must have stopped after seeing my spectacular stunt. I was able to get up by myself and I slapped the cycle rider. He was a kid of around 16 years. He was bleeding at 2 places on his face. He immediately said sorry. He was desperately trying to reassemble his ransacked cycle. So he asked me to help out. His innocence was very touching. I gathered myself and reached the side of the road.

I dont remember what anant did immediately after the accident, but he brought the bike to the side of the road. After I analyzed his condition I approached the cycle boy and advised him to go to the doctor. He asked for money. I immediately refused and then came back to anant again. He said he was fine.Then a local came and checked for our fractured bones and advised us to get away from the site b4 the locals come.

We went to Vatsalya's place, which is located near the office, washed our wounds with dettol. I had a quick bath, dorned myself with the same torn trouser and dirty shirt and went to office. I was already feeling nauseaous and suddenly my left leg started swelling like hell. I applied ice to it and some people advised me to get it checked up. I immediately rushed to orthopedic's hospital and then home. Luckily it was not a fracture but some blood clot under the bone lining. Had to take a tetanus injection. However, I was suffering from body pain on shoulder and back for three days and I also suffered from temperature, mebbe due to the body pain.
After I narrated the incident to my mother, she was of the opinion thatI should have given some money to the cycle kid. I felt guilty of not doing that. But somehow the instincts at that moment did not urge me to do what was right. Anant had done well not to directly hit the kid and instead hit the front tyre. One thing I learnt, bike riding is not safe. Even if you are a very careful driver anyone can hit you whenever they feel like.

3 Comments:

Blogger Roaming Panda said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Roaming Panda said...

Hey, got to know about this accident from your blog. How are you doing now Virag? Has the wound healed? You take good care of yourself buddy.

-Roshan

11:49 PM  
Blogger manoj said...

Shukar hain bhagwan ka ke tu bach gaya.

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home