Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Amazing barber

5th April, 2006

As I decided to have a haircut with a difference. I went to a shabby barber shop on the side of the Solapur Highway at Fatima Nagar. The barber was wearing a torn banyan and was working on his sole customer. I thought I would be next, but then he said that someone was coming and if he comes he would take him and I wud have to wait. I decided that if that person comes I would go to some other barber shop. neways this place wasnt cool at all.

The person came and I started to move out. But the barber gave a very needy look and said that I must come back. The look appealed to me and I waited. When I came in barber was wearing an ironed shirt. I had to wait till he finished shaving the other person. Then I asked him to trim my hair. He did that with atmost care, stopping when I coughed, asking whether I am comfortable when I moved a little. It was very clear that he wanted to impress me. Also, I was sure that people like me were not frequent visitors at this place. He called me "Sir", which embarrased me and I asked him not to call me that. He gave me the cliched reasoning of customer-barber relationship has no bound to age. So I started a conversation with him. He revealed that he was in the profession since last 40 years. Some 12 years back the whole of Fatima Nagar wasnt there. There were farms instead. His baraber shop was a small 50 square feet room which had a similar room adjacent to it, where his family lived. He had a young son around 14 years (I guess) and an old looking wife. He revealed that he was already 54. While he was working on me, he had some guests and he had to hurry. But he made them wait and completely his job faithfully. After he had finished he gave me massage which was really great.
All-in-all I was touched by his hospitality and customer-friendliness to the core.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home