Monday, April 09, 2007

Luggage racks removed from locals

This is some unknown General knowledge to me.

I travelled by western railway local train from Borivali to Dadar while returning from my recent Water Kingdom Picnic. One most striking thing that I noticed was the removal of overhead luggage racks from the EMUs of local trains that ply on the western suburbs of Mumbai. When I enquired a bit about this seemingly unusual thing to happen. It revealed that this has been done on account of 7/11 bomb blasts in Mumbai local trains that tested the city pshyche. Once the reason became known to me, I could not help but appreciate this decision. No doubt that this would add to the inconvenience of local train travellers who use it to commute with heavy luggage. But this would mean that terrorists will have a hard time finding a place to leave their bomb-laden baggages in railway compartments. This was one such bold decisions that could attract huge criticism, but nonetheless it is justified by the safety criterion.

However, no such steps have been taken in the local trains that ply on the central suburbs between CST and Karjat/Kasara. Are the authorities waiting for the terrorists attacks on central corridor before they can implement similar preventive measures on the central railway local trains?

1 Comments:

Blogger Sid Soni said...

Good observation.

After the bomb blasts I simply decided to commute on my bullet and have been happy until now :).

1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home